Dormitory style rooms with two or three single beds are available as well as a limited number of rooms with private baths. We are able to host a maximum of 60 people depending on the use of the rooms as single, double or triple. Bed linens and towels are provided.
The Michaelite House has two conference rooms that can be arranged with tables and chairs. Audiovisual equipment including TV/VCR/CD or Overhead Projector is available.
The Dining Room is located on the main floor, off the kitchen, and there is a fire place room that can also be used as a dining area.
Our Chapel with the Blessed Sacrament is always available for quiet reflection and must be treated with utmost respect and reverence. Excessive noise is prohibited in all common areas which includes the corridors, rooms, lobby and Chapel. Quiet Time is observed after 11 pm.
London is just around the corner, only a few kilometers away, with wonderful shopping centers, restaurants, fast food facilities and golf courses. Masonville Mall is a short drive from our centre. Major highways 401 and 402 are easily accessible and a very short distance from us. Our address is 2751 Sunningdale Road West, London, Ontario, Canada, N6H 5L2.
Our Retreat House is easily reached:
The Michaelite House Retreat Centre is nestled on many acres of hardwood and pine trees around London, Ontario, less than half an hour from downtown London. Our House provides facilities for religious retreat groups as well as for individuals wishing to spend some time away from the hustle and bustle of the city or busyness of life. The House is not restricted to the religious retreats. We offer our facility for a variety of social, school and interdenominational religious groups. We offer overnight accommodation with no food services, though the kitchen is available to prepare meals. Our Retreat Centre is a nonsmoking environment and pets or animals are not allowed in the Centre.
Michaelite Fathers reside at the South Wing and this area is off limits. You are asked to respect their privacy.
We would like to take you on a tour around our House to let you know about our Centre and invite you to come and visit us by spending some time in prayer, solitude and nature. Simply click on the submenu buttons for the information you are interested in.
The House is run by the Michaelite Fathers, a religious order originated in Poland and now spreading its message of Mi-cha-el, that translates to “Who is Like God” around the globe.
St. Clare Parish in Grosse Pointe Park, MI, USA was founded in 1926 by the Augustinians Friars of the Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel with headquarters in Chicago, Illinois. From its beginnings until 2012 the Augustinians were instruments of spiritual growth for the people of St. Clare as individuals and as parish community.
Since July 1, 2012 the spiritual and temporal direction of St. Clare Parish, were given to the Congregation of St. Michael the Archangel /Michaelite Fathers/ with Fr. Andrew Kowalczyk as the pastor. This is the first parish in the USA run by the Michaelite Fathers.
Parish web: www.stclarem.org
Blessed Father Bronislaw Markiewicz (1842-1912) was the teacher of orphans, neglected children and youth, a student of St. John Bosco, a prophet and writer, as well as the founder of the Congregations of Saint Michael the Archangel. January, 2012 marks the hundredth anniversary of his death. Today more than 500 of his spiritual daughters and sons spread the Good News in almost all the continents of the world. Fr. Markiewicz sent coworkers to North America so that they could spread his work there during the course of his life. Thanks to God’s Providence, July, 2012 marks 50 years of service by the Michaelite Fathers on Canadian soil. Today twelve Michaelites work in the Dioceses of London and Toronto.
The occasion of the passing of a century since the blessed death of our founder, as well as the passing of half a century since the moment when Father Bartlomiej Slawinski officially brought the Congregation to the Diocese of London, have become for us occasions of celebration and thanksgiving for God’s great work which has occurred over the passing years. We also give thanks for the graces and signs of Providence, which were gifts to previous generations. It’s a time of great joy in the communities of sisters and priests.
The History of the Michaelite Fathers in Canada goes back to the days when our Blessed Founder sent some of his co-workers to The United States of America to spread the ideas promoted by him and to provide financial support for it. Many of them were ordained and made the USA their home, since the political, social and religious situations in their homeland were not favourable for their return.
One of them, Fr. Bartlomiej Slawinski, ordained in Orchard Lake Seminary, Detroit, MI, while ministering in Detroit, made some connections with the Polish priests in London and Windsor in the late 50’s. Later, in contact with the Most Rev. John Cody, Bishop of London, they opened the first Religious House of the Michaelite Fathers, in Windsor, Ontario and officially established a Congregation in the London Diocese in 1962. The first group to join Fr. Slawinski included: Fr. S. Nierychlewski, Fr. J. Chmura, Fr. J.T. Dabrowski, Fr. E. Mucha, and Fr. S. Soltysik.
By the end of 60’s the Michaelite Fathers left Windsor and made their permanent home outside London, in what is now Melrose. There, they built a house to host a growing number of confraters as well as a place for the retreats that today is well known as the Michaelite House Retreat Centre. A little later, “help from Poland” started to arrive. Our House in Melrose became our Headquarters in Canada.
Today, 50 years later, we can say that over 30 Michaelites have ministered to the people of God on Canadian soil. The Michaelite House Retreat Centre is a well-known entity, not only within the London Diocese, but also beyond, opening its doors for over 40 years. Our priests have built new churches, lead retreats, pilgrimages and parishes, and they have participated in the life of diocesan ministry on many levels. Currently there are twelve priests ministering in the London and Toronto Dioceses.
Saint Mary’s Church in London, Ontario was built in 1902 and is the second oldest Roman Catholic Church in the City of London. For 110 years of its existence, St. Mary’s has always provided spiritual care for many Catholics in London and also, in particular, for many immigrants from Ireland, the Ukraine, Poland and Italy (from 1968 until today). In 1952, with the permission of the Holy See, the Mass was celebrated “versus populum” (“facing people”) for the first time in the Diocese of London and, very likely, in all of Canada.
In 1998, Father Joseph Dabrowski CSMA, was appointed Pastor of St. Mary’s Church. He is the 21st and current Pastor of the parish. Under his pastoral tenure, the Church has undergone extensive exterior renovations, including many interior improvements. To recognize this work, an important award for the best restored heritage building was given in 2011 by the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario and the Heritage London Foundation.
In 2009 St. Mary’s Parish was entrusted to the care of the Michaelite Fathers. For a number of years, the parish has offered a perpetual adoration in the chapel located in the rectory. At present, the Parish has 1,300 families.
Parish web: stmaryparish.dol.ca
Saint Teresa’s Parish in Toronto was established in 1924 in order to provide spiritual care for the local Catholics. Soon after, Irish immigrants found this church to be their spiritual home. Other ethnic groups have followed and therefore, the parish is a mosaic of Canadian multiculturalism. It is a place where people of all age groups and cultural backgrounds gather to worship and praise the Lord. We currently have a large Polish community thus masses are celebrated in English as well as Polish.
Our parish provides various social and sacramental ministries such as: catechisms, sacramental classes for couples preparing for the Sacrament of Marriage, services for the elderly at Lakeshore Lodge, a ministry for children and youth at Saint Teresa’s Elementary School and Fr. John Redmond High school, and finally heritage school which offers Polish language classes to elementary school children at Saint Teresa’s School.
The latest renovation of the interior building was done in late 1990’s as a testimony of faith and dedication of the growing number of parishioners. The altar stained glass windows which have been designed depict Jesus’ Last Supper, Death, and Resurrection.
Since 2002 the pastoral care of Saint Teresa’s Parish has been entrusted to the Michaelite Fathers with Fr. Jan Burczyk as a pastor to serve over 2000 families who make this parish a growing and thriving community through the intersession of St. Teresa the patron of our church.
In 1953, the Polish community in London was growing slowly but surely. Under the wise leadership of Msgr. Francis Pluta, a Polish parish came to be. Our Lady of Czestochowa Polish Catholic Church was built in 1954. The first Michaelite to work in this parish was Fr. Joseph T. Dabrowski CSMA (Senior), who took the ministry as a vicar in the spring of 1966. In the 80’s the church had became too small for the growing polish community in London, partly because the parish had sponsored thousands of immigrants from Poland. The existing church was unable to accommodate the 2000 or so families.
In 1992, Fr. Adam Gabriel CSMA was appointed as the fourth pastor of Our Lady of Czestochowa parish. Shortly after, plans to rebuild the church became reality. On June 23, 1996, the newly rebuilt church was blessed by Bishop John Sherlock, the Bishop of London. Fr. Zbigniew Rodzinka CSMA is the present pastor and Fr. Mateusz Sobierajski CSMA is his assistant.
Parish web: olc.dol.ca