Saint Mary’s Church in London, Ontario was built in 1902 and is the second oldest Roman Catholic Church in the City of London. For 110 years of its existence, St. Mary’s has always provided spiritual care for many Catholics in London and also, in particular, for many immigrants from Ireland, the Ukraine, Poland and Italy (from 1968 until today). In 1952, with the permission of the Holy See, the Mass was celebrated “versus populum” (“facing people”) for the first time in the Diocese of London and, very likely, in all of Canada.
In 1998, Father Joseph Dabrowski CSMA, was appointed Pastor of St. Mary’s Church. He is the 21st and current Pastor of the parish. Under his pastoral tenure, the Church has undergone extensive exterior renovations, including many interior improvements. To recognize this work, an important award for the best restored heritage building was given in 2011 by the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario and the Heritage London Foundation.
In 2009 St. Mary’s Parish was entrusted to the care of the Michaelite Fathers. For a number of years, the parish has offered a perpetual adoration in the chapel located in the rectory. At present, the Parish has 1,300 families.
Parish web: stmaryparish.dol.ca