Founder - Father Bronislaw Markiewicz

Fr MarkiewiczThe Congregation was founded by Blessed, Father Bronisław Markiewicz. Born on 13th July 1842 in Pruchnik near Jarosław (south-eastern Poland), he was a priest of the Przemyśl Diocese, and was a revered churchman recognised for his spirit of sacrifice. He was also professor of the local Major Seminary. From the very beginning of his priestly life, he was particularly sensitive towards the religious, moral, and material negligence of children and youth and to the misery of simple people. He spoke strongly against the national vices of the Polish nation. In his opinion the solution of social problems depended upon the proper education of young people and on changing the moral climate of the whole society.

Following the divine voice, he went to Italy and became a follower of Saint John Bosco. After seven years, in 1892, he returned to Poland and was put in charge of the parish in Miejsce Piastowe (south-eastern Poland). In addition to his pastoral work, he provided a widespread educational system, which not only included academics but also dealt with the spiritual and physical growth of the children, in the houses established by him. He soon thought of founding a new religious congregation.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

On 23rd September 1923, he petitioned the Bishop of Przemyśl and the Pope to allow him to found the Congregation of St. Michael the Archangel. In spite of intensive efforts on his part, Father Markiewicz did not live to witness its approval and died on 29th January 1912. On 29th September 1921, Adam Stefan Sapieha, Bishop of Krakow, issued the Erecting Decree of the Congregation. On 15th June 1966, the Congregation w as affirmed under papal law. The beatification took place in Warsaw on June 19, 2005.

Epitaph of the Blessed Founder in St. Michael's Church. Our founder also gave the beginning to the Michaelite Sisters.

 

Read 1776 times

Places

  • Michaelite House Retreat Centre +

    The Michaelite House Retreat Centre is nestled on many acres of hardwood and pine trees around London, Ontario, less than Read More
  • Our Lady Queen of Peace, Sarnia +

    After the Second World War, many veterans came to Sarnia. The population of Polish immigrants increased. In 1952, the Polish Read More
  • Our Lady of Czestochowa, London +

    In 1953, the Polish community in London was growing slowly but surely. Under the wise leadership of Msgr. Francis Pluta, Read More
  • St. Patrick, Lucan +

    St. Patrick Parish in Lucan has a strong Irish heritage as does the Town of Lucan. Catholics began to settle Read More
  • St. Teresa, Toronto +

    Saint Teresa’s Parish in Toronto was established in 1924 in order to provide spiritual care for the local Catholics. Soon Read More
  • St. Mary, London +

    Saint Mary’s Church in London, Ontario was built in 1902 and is the second oldest Roman Catholic Church in the Read More
  • St. Clare of Montefalco, Grosse Pointe Park +

    St. Clare Parish in Grosse Pointe Park, MI, USA was founded in 1926 by the Augustinians Friars of the Province Read More
  • Christ The King, Toronto +

    Christ the King Church in Long Branch began as an idea in the mind of its first pastor, Father Stephen Read More
  • 1