History

The History of the Michaelite Fathers in Canada goes back to the days when our Blessed Founder sent some of his co-workers to The United States of America to spread the ideas promoted by him and to provide financial support for it. Many of them were ordained and made the USA their home, since the political, social and religious situations in their homeland were not favourable for their return.

One of them, Fr. Bartlomiej Slawinski, ordained in Orchard Lake Seminary, Detroit, MI, while ministering in Detroit, made some connections with the Polish priests in London and Windsor in the late 50’s. Later, in contact with the Most Rev. John Cody, Bishop of London, they opened the first Religious House of the Michaelite Fathers, in Windsor, Ontario and officially established a Congregation in the London Diocese in 1962. The first group to join Fr. Slawinski included: Fr. S. Nierychlewski, Fr. J. Chmura, Fr. J.T. Dabrowski, Fr. E. Mucha, and Fr. S. Soltysik. 

By the end of 60’s the Michaelite Fathers left Windsor and made their permanent home outside London, in what is now Melrose. There, they built a house to host a growing number of confraters as well as a place for the retreats that today is well known as the Michaelite House Retreat Centre. A little later, “help from Poland” started to arrive. Our House in Melrose became our Headquarters in Canada.

Today, 50 years later, we can say that over 30 Michaelites have ministered to the people of God on Canadian soil. The Michaelite House Retreat Centre is a well-known entity, not only within the London Diocese, but also beyond, opening its doors for over 40 years. Our priests have built new churches, lead retreats, pilgrimages and parishes, and they have participated in the life of diocesan ministry on many levels. Currently there are twelve priests ministering in the London and Toronto Dioceses.

Read 8387 times

Places


Strict Standards: Non-static method K2ModelItemlist::getCategoryTree() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /mnt/data/vhosts/casite-482443.cloudaccess.net/httpdocs/components/com_roksprocket/lib/RokSprocket/Provider/K2/Filter.php on line 149
  • Michaelite House Retreat Centre +

    The Michaelite House Retreat Centre is nestled on many acres of hardwood and pine trees around London, Ontario, less than Read More
  • Our Lady of Czestochowa, London +

    In 1953, the Polish community in London was growing slowly but surely. Under the wise leadership of Msgr. Francis Pluta, Read More
  • St. Patrick, Lucan +

    St. Patrick Parish in Lucan has a strong Irish heritage as does the Town of Lucan. Catholics began to settle Read More
  • St. Teresa, Toronto +

    Saint Teresa’s Parish in Toronto was established in 1924 in order to provide spiritual care for the local Catholics. Soon Read More
  • St. Mary, London +

    Saint Mary’s Church in London, Ontario was built in 1902 and is the second oldest Roman Catholic Church in the Read More
  • St. Clare of Montefalco, Grosse Pointe Park +

    St. Clare Parish in Grosse Pointe Park, MI, USA was founded in 1926 by the Augustinians Friars of the Province Read More
  • Christ The King, Toronto +

    Christ the King Church in Long Branch began as an idea in the mind of its first pastor, Father Stephen Read More
  • 1